11.11.2008

"The Bun"

Today was my first OB appointment and ultrasound of the baby! Collin and Moira were both home for Veteran's Day, so we all got to go see the baby as a family. The "bun" looks great, everything is developing how and where it should be, and he/she is measuring at 9 weeks, so just a few days bigger than our best-guess due date. Both Moira and Ian measured bigger all the way through the pregnancy (we make big babies), so this was no real surprise for us. We all enjoyed getting to see the baby, even though the kids had a hard time seeing a baby in the blob on the screen! The heart beat was strong (at about 165 beats per minute) and he/she measured at just about 1 inch long. It was so amazing to see little arms and legs (and even an ear!) with a strong heart beat, all from a tiny being only an inch in length!! So cool. Here are the "bun's" first pictures in 4-D:


I thought it would also be fun to post the video of the ultrasound, since it's a truly amazing experience, and I thought some of you would enjoy it too! I edited the video to include just the good stuff, so it's only about 3.50 minutes. At about 1 minute, you'll see the heart beat monitor on the screen, but unfortunately you can't hear the little "whoosh whoosh" of the heart beat after editing, like we can hear on the original. Then, she switches to the colored 4-D ultrasound, which is super cool. That's when the baby really takes shape and you can see all the neat little details! If you watch closely at about the 3 minute mark, you can see the baby start to move his/her little legs and arms and wiggle around a bit!! Again, absolutely incredible - it's the 3rd go around and it still blows my mind! :o) I hope you enjoy the clip, almost as much as we did!

9 comments:

The Bottolfini's said...

HOW COOL IS THAT? It's a girl. I can tell. I'm not a doctor, but I play one at work sometimes.

DW Hobbs said...

Wow...I'm in love with The Bun already. ;-) My first 3:51 minutes of seeing this little one...how awesome! Loved that you shared it with us, thanks for that extra special blessing today!

Hugs,
D

E said...

What a gorgeous, little bun. I can't wait to see more and will continue to pray for a happy, healthy pregnancy! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Janice and family said...

That is AWESOME!

Diane said...

Wow, even after having had 2 of our own, it's still fascinating and such a miracle to see your ultrasound of baby McCann at such an early stage. It makes me anxious to see your little one develop and we anticipate the day he/she arrives. Thanks for sharing with us!

Love, PDKB

Anonymous said...

That was very cool! I have NEVER seen an ultrasound done in 4-D. Thanks for sharing that with us!

The Wilhite Family said...

That's so COOL!!!! Can't wait to meet him or her!!! Love you guys!!

Kim said...

Janelle! I loved seeing this! Thanks for posting it! It is never less amazing and miraculous not matter how many times you get to see the baby in utero. S/he looked awfully cozy in there, by the way! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Janelle,
I got here via Kim's blog--after viewing the cute pictures of Cambria in her hat and sweater. Anyway, I read your entry and wanted to say a big congratulations on this up and coming baby. What a blessing. I hope you are doing well...
Jennifer B.