4.14.2008

Gruene, TX

We love Texas! Saturday we spent the afternoon in a little town called Gruene (pronounced "Green" which is actually what it means in German) which is a historical town full of neat shops, restaurants and scenery. We had talked about going to the Poteet Strawberry Festival, but then decided it might be a bit too pricey, so we headed to Gruene instead. Not much to tell about the actual trip, we didn't buy anything, but did a lot of window shopping instead. We also split the Hill Country Strawberry Shortcake at the Gristmill Restaurant, which was very yummy, and sat on the patio with a beautiful scene overlooking the Guadalupe River. We had perfect weather of about 80 degrees with a cool breeze, and loved the excursion. Here are just a couple pics, so you can get a taste of our Gruene experience.

The original general store (across the street) from the 1800s

The original community center, now a dance hall, where George Straight was discovered

Us on the patio of the Gristmill Restaurant (which used to be a cotton gin) overlooking the river

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little town! I've never heard of it...but then again, there's a lot of towns and cities I've never heard of in Texas. Ha ha. Happy to see and read you guys had a great time. Don't you just love sight-seeing?!

How's the job hunting going? Yesterday you came to mind while in Sunday School Class. We were learning about Abraham's faith and trust in the Lord when it came to Isaac. I forget how exactly you correlate to the lesson but you did and you came to mind.

We love you!!

DW Hobbs said...

Neat pics! And you know I'm a country fan so it's extra cool to see where George Strait was discovered! ;-) I'm thrilled you guys are out and about and enjoying LIFE together despite the challenges, y'all are awesome! Love ya!

Janice and family said...

I love Gruene too! The Poteet Strawberry Festival is fun, you will have to go sometime...I miss the cute towns all around TX, I haven't discovered any here in OK...checkout Wimberly during Wimberly Days and downtown Boerne - my favorite shop Bye-Bye Birdie is there, right up your alley!

-Janice

E said...

Wow! It looks idyllic. Can I move there? I didn't know there were lots of little towns like that in Texas - how cool. I love charming, little towns!

It looks like you had a wonderful weekend! We're praying for you guys and I'm so thankful you're enjoying life (like Dara wrote) in the midst of some big challenges! I wish I could say I'd definitely do the same! (Not at all sure I would though).

Blessings to you this week! And lots of love!

The Jackson Family said...

Oh, I just love Gruene! And the Gristmill. We used to go tubing down the Guadalupe all day, and then have dinner at the Gristmill-- yum!

Candace/Chloe said...

How neat! We'll have to take a trip there soon! Thanks for sharing!

DW Hobbs said...

We love Texas too. It's because y'all live there. ;-)

Sara and William said...

Granbury is a cute little town, too. If you are going to be in North Texas in May, we would love for you to come by and spend some time here. You would love the lake. We could take the kids on a boat ride and Janelle you and I could do some "window shopping" on the square. Please, please, please, come by and see us.