Cailin's Surgery

I drove Cailin down to Birmingham for her surgery yesterday, and left her in the caring hands of the Surgeon and his staff. No small feat in itself, I assure you. Although I called to check in at 4pm and again at 7:30pm, we didn't hear about the outcome of Cailin's surgery until very late (9 pm) last night. They started her surgery later than planned, because an emergency case came in, but they also had a complication in closing her up, so it took even longer. I guess they ran a stain through her bladder to make sure there were no leaks, and there was a small one, so they had to open her back up to reseal everything. She came out from the anesthesia fine and they had warm air on her and warm liquids running through her to help raise her temperature. When I called this morning they said she was in good spirits (as much as she can be in the hospital after surgery), she'd eaten breakfast, had a bowel movement and they thought they'd be able to remove the catheter Friday morning and we can come get her and bring her home that afternoon. We're definitely hoping they'll let us come get her before the weekend!

The surgery itself ended up being more intricate than they originally had planned. I guess the tumor was pretty large, and so they had to remove a good portion of her bladder. The nurse also told me that the tumor had spread into the muscle wall and urethra, so they weren't able to remove that portion. We'd been under the impression that it hadn't made it to her urethra yet, so that was upsetting news. We have yet to find out what it all means, but should know more when we have our consult with the Surgeon when we go pick her up. I was pretty upset last night, with the new information, but Collin and I have had a chance to talk and I've calmed down emotionally quite a bit. We'll just have to wait and see what the Surgeon says it all means, and I'm trying not to get ahead of the game or make assumptions that will upset me, and might not even come to pass. Please say another prayer that the surgery will help her, and that it wasn't all in vain. We're remaining hopeful, and God is in control. He'll allow to happen what He wills, which we know is what's best. He'll give us peace and grace enough to handle it all.
In other news, Moira woke up today with two red, gunky eyes and complaining of a sore throat and ear ache. Ugh. So, I kept her home and we're going to the doctor at 10 this morning. Not what I wanted to be faced with today, but you do what you've gotta do. Hopefully he'll get her some good meds to make her better and she'll be back at school tomorrow.

This is one of those times that life can just be overwhelming. Thinking about taking things "a day at a time" seems like too much right now, so I'm focusing on an hour at a time. Please pray for our family, our sweet Cailin and the outcome of all of this. Mostly that God's will be done and that He'll give us peace about it all. Thank you all for your loving support - your comments, prayer and encouragement has meant so much to us both. Each and every one of you is a ray of happiness and representation of God's love for me.


Anonymous said...

Oh, Janelle! I just don't know what to say about Cailin. It just breaks my heart to hear things didn't turn out the way we all had hoped. But there's reassurance in knowing our Lord and Savior has had a plan for your family in the works long before any of you were born! In that I can rejoice in this sad situation.

When I read Moira is sick, I started to think and am believing the Lord allowed Moira to be this way to help you make it through the day. This way you're concentrating on something that's important and dear to your heart to help you cope with missing your puppy. God is good and knows how to help, even in the most simplest of ways.

I'll be praying for your family. Hope you find a reason to smile today. God be with you!

E said...

I hope all works out very well with Cailin. That news about it spreading is very sad and I know that is difficult to reconcile with the outcome you had hoped for going into the surgery. I pray your consult with the surgeon will give you hope & peace!

I hope Moira starts feeling better soon. She may pick up quite a few bugs this first year at school while her immune system gets used to being exposed to "stuff" on a regular basis. When I was going to send Eben to preschool full time they told me he'd probably get sick often the first few months in particular - I guess that's a very common part of the transition from being at home to being in school.

Love you guys & praying all will be well the rest of the week!


Suzann said...

I think it's good news :0) And I think she's gonna be fine. Is she gonna have to be on some chemo to get what they couldn't remove? We'll keep praying for all of you - mostly that you will have peace with your entire life. Moving, sick puppy, sick kids - it's all stressful but we know you can do it! You're a great wife and mommy and just hang in there - we are proud of you!

the mccann clan said...

Thanks Suzann. I'm afraid Chemo isn't really an option. This type of cancer will spread without removal, so it's just a matter of time - hopefully this surgery will have given her more of it. I appreciate your support and faith in me, it means a lot!

The Bottolfini's said...

I don't have the words to say what I'm feeling. Four Lights said it beautifully. I think I'll just stop and pray for your Cailin now.

Katie said...

You guys are in our prayers Janelle. We are praying for the best outcome possible.

God Bless,


The Wilhite Family said...

We love you guys and are praying for you.